Friday, September 10, 2010

Wake Up

Nothing about the men and women in Advertisements is genuine. Nothing is even remotely accurate to what we experience in real life. If we could expose these false sense of identities we could save young men and women from so many terrible disorders, depression and unhealthy lifestyles.



Did they really feel the need to make her blond?


In the ad world every single thing that can be remotely linked to any sexual content, is. It's common knowledge and everyone knows that sex sells, but the ones who feel objectified, I feel, may be looking at the wrong culprits of these ad campaigns, and the feelings of seeing sickly skinny and blonde as the perfect woman. I feel like in America, women are putting the most pressures on themselves to fit into these insane stereotypes of what women are "supposed" to look like, when in fact,(while I can only speak for myself and a few that I have heard share the same opinion), this tiny blonde woman is not what men look for. I feel like girls who fall victim to the crude images of women don't realize that it is all fake. No woman in any ad is real, it might as well be a 3D rendering. The amount of photoshopping and airbrushing that goes into these pictures could make myself into a cover model, and I am, in fact, a male. I wouldn't want any young women to feel the pressures that cause eating disorders, depression, and sometimes worse, if we could just expose all the false realities surrounding us it would make many of the insecurities go away.



Madonna is looking gooood.

It is not just females that feel this way. While I might not have ever felt the pressure of needing to have my shirt off at all times to constantly reinforce my masculinity, I can see where some men might feel the need to embody this sense of "macho". But, like in the case with women, I feel like men put the most pressures on themselves. I have been in gyms were men are in competition with each other, falsely stating that they are developing this body because women find it most attractive. I think all but the shallowest of women can agree that that is not the first thing that makes them attracted to a man, just like men are not as obsessed by a womans appearance as she is. It is all a grand illusion that makes us act in this funny sort of way, and it is true that the media perpetuates it.



I didn't realize someone could ever be too skinny in the ad world.

It's all fake, it's all terrible, and it is a sad fact that the ad agencies have such a vice grip on media outlets. How can it change? Is it up to watchdog groups and individual journalists to expose the relationship between Companies that own ads and networks? I believe the sad truth is that money drives this: the media, the ad agencies, the journalists, and there is always enough to keep anyone's mouth shut.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Alex, these are amazing photographs--and quite frightening. Perhaps you want to show them in class? Thank you for your insightful analysis.

    ReplyDelete